Religious Significant Sites
Address: Russia, Moscow, Moscow, Danilovskiy Val, 22
Phone: (495) 961-14-80 с 9 до 17 по рабочим дням
Till 1932 Danilov Monastery is revered as the ancient abode on the Moskva River, it was founded in the late 13th century by Moscow Prince Daniil (Daniel of Moscow), younger son of Prince Alexander Nevsky in honor of its saint patron - St. Daniel the Stylite. The first Archimandrite (1300) in Moscow principality was established in Danilov Monastery, and then was moved to the Kremlin's Cathedral of the Transfiguration Monastery in 1330. Before his death, the prince took the monastic vows (1303); he is buried in the Danilov Monastery. His relics were discovered in 1652 and transferred to the temple of the Seven Ecumenical Councils founded by him by the order of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich. In November 1982, shortly before his death, Brezhnev signed a decree about the transfer of the Donskoy Monastery to Moscow patriarchate, at the end of May 1983 Don was replaced by Danilov. The Moscow Patriarchate’s journal (issue 8) of 1983 contained an article about Patriarch Pimen and people accompanying him the President of the Council for Religious Affairs under the Council of Ministers of the USSR V.A. Kuroyedov visit it on May 17th. The latter told the bishops that the Soviet Government had decided to return the Danilov Monastery to “create Administrative Centre of the Moscow Patriarchate in it and its adjoining territory, the construction of new premises were also allowed in the area.”
Archimandrite Eulogy (Smirnov) was appointed as the governor of a resurgent monastery. The monastery was restored as the spiritual and administrative center of the ROC, the parishes of Moscow and all the dioceses of the Moscow Patriarchate donated to the funds for its restoration.
In September 1983 the Moscow Patriarch Pimen blessed all the churches to sing the troparion to Prince Daniel at the end of services, and remember him at the dismissal.
• Church of the Holy Fathers of Seven Ecumenical Councils (XVII—XIX centuries);
• Trinity Cathedral (1833—1838);
• Tiered Bell Tower Simeon Stylites;
• Rectory Quarters (1828);
• Fraternal Building (1869);
• Building of the former public monastery Hospital of the Moscow diocese (1890);
• Memorial Chapel (1988), built by architect Y.G. Alonov;
• Nadkladeznaya Chapel built in honor of the 1000-year anniversary of Christianization of Russia (1988), erected on the monastery square by architect Y.G. Alonov;
• Building of the Department of External Church Relations (DECR);
• Residence of the Holy Synod and the Patriarch, with All Saints Church, on the land of the Russian shined (consecrated in 1988);
• Danilovskaya Hotel
The monastery is open to visitors from 6:00 to 21:00.