The Subject of the Russian Federation:
Federal District: The Siberian Federal District
Area: 572,9 km2
Population: 1 127 000 persons.
Omsk — a large city in Russia, an administrative center of the Omsk Oblast.
Population is about 1,1 million people.
The city was founded in 1716.
The first Omsk fortress was founded in 1716 by the Cosack’s detachment under the command of I. D. Bukholz, who went to broaden and strengthen the borders of the Russian Empire by the personal order of Peter I.
In the XIX century Omsk became a center of the West Siberian, and then the Steppe General-Governoship (the Steppe Krai), covering a substantial part of the Western Siberia and the north of modern Kazakhstan.
From 1850 to 1854 years a writer Fyodor Dostoevsky was in prison in the Omsk fort. His impressions of the imprisonment the writer described in his book "Writings from the House of the Dead". Due to the fact that, Omsk became related to Dostoevsky, in the beginning of the XXIst century the government of the Omsk Oblast decided to give its name to the Omsk State University.
In 1914 the construction of the Railway Department began by the Hungarian prisoners of war. In 1915 the Omsk water supply system was open.
During the Civil War Omsk was the residence, firstly, of the Siberian Provisional Government (headed by P.V. Vologda), then — the All-Russian Provisional Government (headed by N.D. Avksentyev), then — the Supreme Ruler of the Russian government, Admiral A.V. Kolchak. Thus, during the Civil War Omsk was the capital of the White Movement in Russia.
In April, 2008 for the first time Omsk was awarded the diploma of the international forum "Megapolis - the XXIst Century" of the First International Contest "The Best City of the CIS" for creating the conditions for the development of territorial self-government city.
Mechanical engineering, petrochemistry, aerospace, light and food industries are developed.
Historically, river transport is the most ancient form of transport. During the river trip the city was founded, throughout its history the town was closely linked to the river.
Built in 1964, the River Port is in the heart of the city, on the place of the Omsk fortress foundation. There are Voskhod and Zarya speed boats on high-speed lines, Omsk-Tevriz and Tevriz-Malaya.
The Omsk River Port (founded in 1951) is located within the city on both banks of the Irtysh River near the intersection with the Trans-Siberian Railway, in 1858 km from the mouth. The Omsk River Port is the largest transshipment port on the Irtysh River.
There are two railway stations in the city near to each other that form the station’s square: the "Omsk-Passenger" and the "Omsk-Suburb". Both stations meet European standards.
There are de luxe trains: trains “Irtysh” № 47/48 with the Omsk-Moscow direction and № 87/88 with the Omsk-Novosibirsk direction, corresponding to European standards, the "Omich” with the Omsk-Nizhnevartovsk direction, the "Friendship"- Omsk-Karaganda and two-in-group de luxe train “Ob” with the Novosibirsk-Omsk-New Urengoy direction.
On the left bank of the Irtysh there is a bus terminal, from where intercity and international buses go to the Omsk Oblast, other cities of Russia and Kazakhstan.
There is the Omsk Central Airport in Omsk.
Surface transport is widely used in the city.
There are 108 bus, 10 trolley-bus and 6 tram routes, and also taxi. Nowadays an underground is being built in Omsk.
The federal highway M51 (Chelyabinsk - Kurgan - Petropavlovsk - Omsk - Novosibirsk) goes through Omsk. The Russian citizens, who want to drive to Omsk along this highway, should choose the route Chelyabinsk - Kurgan - Makushino - Berdyuzhye - Ishim - Omsk.
- Assumption Cathedral
- Nativity of Christ Cathedral
- Musical Theatre
- Omsk Arena
- Cadet corps
- Organ Hall
- Tarskaya Church
- Lenin Street
- Irtysh embankment
- Pushkin Library
- Vrubel Omsk Regional Museum of Fine Arts
- Valikhanov Street
- Building of the Omsk Oblast Government
- Blinov Omsk Academic Drama Theater, Sport and Concert Complex
- House of an Artist
Famous people of the city
- Belan Vasiliy Nikitich (1932-2002) – an artist, a watercolorist, books graphic artist
- Bryukhanov Nikolay Mikhailovich (1928-1979) – an artist, painter, muralist
- Tretyakov Nikolay Yakovlevich (1926-1989) – a graphic artist, a painter, a muralist
- Annenskiy Innocentiy Fedorovich (1855-1909) – a poet, a literary critic
- Rozhdestvenskiy Robert Ivanovich (1932-1994) – a poet, a laureate of the USSR State Prize
Telephones for emergency situations
- For mobile telephones – 112
- Lost-and-found desk (lost things and documents) – (3812) 41-66-30
- Evacuation service – (3812) 50-19-11
- Fire fighting service – 01
- Medical emergency service – 03
Sources for getting information about touristic opportunities in the region
- A tourist-informational center BU OO “MinsportMedia”
Tel./fax (3812) 24-34-62
- Department of Youth Activities, Physical Training and Sport of the Omsk Oblast
Tel. (3812) 31-76-64
MES territorial authorities
Main department of the MES of Russia of the Omsk Oblast:
Building 41, Internationalnaya Street, Omsk
Tel. (3812) 25-65-16