The Subject of the Russian Federation:
Federal District: The Siberian Federal District
Area: 282,3 km2
Population: 521 200 persons.
Kemerovo — an administrative center of the Kemerovo Oblast, which is located in 3482 km from Moscow, on the south-east of the West Siberia, in the center of the Kuznetskaya kettle, in the northern part of the Kuznetsky coalfield, on both sides of the Ob River, in the middle of its stream by confluence with the Iskitim River.
Kemerovo city is a second city in the Oblast after Novokuznetsk.
Constant population size is more than 500 thousand people.
The area of the city: 282.3 km².
At the site of the modern city there was a village, which has almost 300-year biography, connected with the history of Siberia development.
In 1701 in a geographical atlas of Siberia, made by the Tobolsk historian and geographer Semen Ustinovich Remizov, a small settlement Sheglovo was marked at the "Drawing of the land of Tomsk city" at the confluence of the Nameless river (Iskitimka) and the Tom.
In 1721 the Russian ore-expert, a Cossack's son Mikhailo Volkov, discovered a three-tower coal seam at the water's edge, going on a boat upstream Tom on the 120th line from Tomsk. He had sent chunks of coal to Moscow Berg-board. Thus the Kuznetsk "Combustible stone" was opened. And the first Bolshevik cells appeared there.
On the 24th of November, 1917 the Board of Working Deputies of the Kemerovo mine and the Coke and Chemical Plant took power into their own hands. From the earliest days of the Soviet power establishment on the territory of Kuznetsk Basin it became apparent that the old philistine city of Kuznetsk, remote by hundreds of kilometers from the Kemerovo and the Kolchugin mines and densely populated agricultural areas, will not exert the desired influence on the transformation of life.
On the 30th of March, 1918 the Tomsk province executive committee decreed to form a new county. It was called Shcheglovsky and transformed from the Shcheglov village of the Verkhotomskaya volost in the Shcheglov county town.
As early as in 1921 the coal mining began developing in the Kuznetsk Basin. In the autumn of 1924 the Kuznetsky and the Shcheglovsky counties were isolated from the Tomsk province and transformed into a separate Kuznetsk district, the administrative center of which became Shcheglovsk. As industrial construction was developing, the city started growing.
On the 27th of March, 1932 the Bureau of the Central Executive Committee passed a resolution to rename Shcheglovsk into Kemerovo.
On the 26th of January, 1943 the industrial region of the Kuznetsk Basin separated into an independent region by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Kemerovo became an administrative center of the Kemerovo Oblast. The war caught Kemerovo with wooden floors, one-storey and with dirty streets and waterlogged wastelands. On the 27th of April, 1979 the Shalgotaryan micro-district was laid in the Leninsky district. A new micro-district distinguished by extraordinary novelty of planning - high-rise buildings were faced with ceramic tiles, and trade and domestic terms moved in the insertions between the houses. Nowadays the construction of housing and socio-cultural objects is being rapidly developed. Recently built a temple complex of the Kemerovo Orthodox diocese has no analogues in Siberia.
Today Kemerovo — one of the largest industrial centers in the eastern Russia, a city of energy, mechanical engineering, and chemistry.
The city is located in the Western Siberia. It is situated on the right and left banks of the Tom River in the confluence with the Iskitimka River.
The most useful mineral during decades is coal.
An energy-chemical complex is developed.
There are tram, trolleybus and bus routes in Kemerovo. The cost of public transport, according to the 1st of January 2011 — 9 rubles, cost of speedy routes — 14 rubles.
On the 16th of October, 2006 the Kuznetsk bridge was put into operation in Kemerovo — one of the widest bridges (40.5 m) in Siberia that replaced the outdated municipal bridge. Its length is 634 m. The construction started in the autumn of 1990 and then was abandoned. In November, 2005 the construction of the bridge was resumed, and, instead of 2 upcoming years, the bridge was put into operation in 11 months. Many believe that the Kuznetsk Bridge is the widest one in Siberia. However, there is the October Bridge in Krasnoyarsk that is 41 m wide.
There is an airport five kilometers to the south-eastern outskirts of Kemerovo city. In the central area of the city the Iskitimsk Bridge, which is a part of the Lenin Avenue, is thrown across the Iskitimka River. Automobile and tram traffic is carried on the bridge in both directions. On both sides of the main bridge separate pedestrian bridges are equipped.
- Znamensk Cathedral in Kemerovo
- Memorial “In memory of the Kuznetsk Basin’s miners”
- Museum and culture preserve the “Red Hill”
- Kemerovo Regional Drama Theater
- Monument to Mikhilo Volkov
Famous people of the city
- Eugene Grishkovec (born in 1967) — a Russian novelist, a playwright, a director, an actor, a musician
- Andrei Panin (born in 1962) — a Russian film and theater actor, an Honored Artist of Russia
- Elena Malysheva (born in 1961) — an administrator of the program “Health”, a doctor, M.D., a professor, an anchorwoman
Telephones for emergency situations
MI Kemerovo Rescue Service – (3842) 01; (3842) 112
Teploenergo OJSC – (3842) 64-1807
MP Heat Networks – (3842) 31-5631
Kemvod OJSC – (3842) 31-1008
“Gorelectroset” – (3842) 75-0200
Kemerovo GIBDD – (3842) 72-5144
State Fire Inspectorate Department - (3842) 36-7412
MI Civil Defense and Emergency Situations Department – (3842) 36-7869
Sources for getting information about touristic opportunities in the region
Territorial Russian MES authorities
State Fire Inspectorate Department of the Main Russian MES Department in the Kemerovo Oblast:
Building 55 A, Lenin Avenue, Kemerovo 650040
Telephone: (3842) 58-42-28; (3842) 58-30-99