The Subject of the Russian Federation:
Federal District: The Siberian Federal District
Area: 348,13 km2
Population: 964 700 persons.
Krasnoyarsk - the largest economic and cultural center of the Central and Eastern Siberia, administrative center of the Krasnoyarsk Krai (the second largest subject in Russia).
It was founded in 1628. The status of the city was given in 1690.
Population: 964.7 thousands of people (2010).
Total area - 348.13 sq km
Development of the Krasnoyarsk Krai began in the beginning of the XVII century. In 1623 the Yenisei Governor Yakov Ignatyevich Khripunov sent a boyar son Andrey Dubensky to choose a location for a new jail above Yeniseisk. Location was chosen on a high flat promontory (stip) between the mouth of Kacha and the Yenisei. The new fort was named Red Yar (under the color of the cliff, along which the wooded mountains Kuysumskie stretched).
Cossacks of Krasnoyarsk had to repulse the nomads’ raids several times until the beginning of the XVIII century. In 1667 Krasnoyarsk was besieged by oirats, the fort withstood a siege with great difficulty but all surrounding villages were burned down and the inhabitants were taken as prisoners.
Krasnoyarsk has received the status of the city in 1690. The Yenisei Area territory was finally annexed to Russia, and raids ceased. A peaceful life began in the region.
In 1735 the rapid growth of Krasnoyarsk began with the arrival of the Siberian tract (now the federal highway M53), which connected Krasnoyarsk with Achinsk and the rest of the European part of Russia. In 1797 the Krasnoyarsk district was included in the Tobolsk province, annexing the Achinsk county to it. Since 1804 Krasnoyarsk had moved to the Tomsk province. In 1822 Krasnoyarsk was given the status of the provincial capital.
Further growth of the city is associated with the discovery of gold mines in the province and the appearance of the railroad in town in 1895. By 1934 the postal airline Moscow-Vladivostok began to pass through the city.
Since 1934 the city is the administrative center of the Krasnoyarsk Krai.
During the war more than two dozen industries were evacuated to this territory.
Krasnoyarsk is located in the interfluves of the Kacha and the Yenisei, at the junction of the Central Siberian Plateau (the right bank of the Yenisei River), the West Siberian Plain (the left bank of the Yenisei) and the Sayan and the Altai Mountains. The city is located in the picturesque valley of the northern Eastern spurs, which attract lovers of nature and especially climbers from the whole country.
The land, on which Krasnoyarsk is located, is mainly flat, forest-steppe. The total length of the Yenisei River - 4 092 kilometers from the Sayan Mountains to the Yenisei Gulf of the Kara Sea.
Krasnoyarsk is a developed center of industry. There are more than 17 thousand enterprises, organizations and institutions on the territory of Krasnoyarsk. The leading branches of industry: nonferrous metallurgy, machine engineering, woodworking, transport, chemical and food industry, retail and wholesale, services.
There is a representative office in the Siberian federal district FSUE “Rostechinventarizatsiya – Federal BTI”.
In 2007 volume of shipped goods of domestic manufacture, executed in-house works and services, according to types of activity of manufacturing complexes was 130 billion rubles, including:
- Metallurgical production – 48%
- Production of machines and equipment, electrical equipment, electron and optical equipment, means of transport and equipment – 20%
- Production of food products, including beverage foods, and tobacco – 11%
Krasnoyarsk - a major hub, located at the intersection of the Trans-Siberian Railway Main Line and historical trade routes along the Yenisei River.
The Trans-Siberian Railway Main Line passes through the city, rail service is realized: Abakan-Taishet, Achinsk-Abakan, Krasnoyarsk-Boguchany, Achinsk-Lesosibirsk. The highway "Baikal" M53 (Novosibirsk-Krasnoyarsk-Irkutsk) passes through Krasnoyarsk, the routes start: "Yenisei" M54 (Krasnoyarsk-Abakan-Kyzyl-State border), going to Mongolia (Tsagaan-Tolgoy), and "Yenisei path" R409 ( Krasnoyarsk-Lesosibirsk-Eniseisk). The passenger ships along the Yenisei River go to Igarka, Dudinka, Divnogorsk.
There are two airports in Krasnoyarsk:
- "Emelyanovo" — the Russian and international flights, cargo and passenger;
- "Cheremshanka" — local airlines; it's also an airbase of the Emergency Department and Department of Internal Affairs.
There are regular direct flights to: Athens, Hannover, Salzburg, Lisbon, Beijing, Podgorica, Thessalonike, etc.
The main form of public transport — bus: there are 81 bus routes. Also there are six trolleybus and 5 tram routes and one route, serviced by minibuses, in the city. The peculiarity of the city is that nowadays the tram lines are completely only on the right bank of the city, and the trolley lines — on the left bank.
- The house of education for the teachers of the Yenisei Region
- STMC "Krasnoyarsk Regional Museum"
- The Annunciation Church
- Krsnoyarsk “Pillars”
- Paraskeva yatnitsa Chapel
- Railway bridge over the Yenisei River
- Park of flora and fauna “Royev Rouchey”
- Fan-park “Bobrovy Log”
- Central Park
- Trinity cemetery – the oldest (among extant ones) Krasnoyarsk cemetery
- Eugene Abalakov (1908—1947) — a prominent Soviet sculptor and a climber, a Honored Master of mountaineering
- Vasily Surikov (1848—1916) — a great Russian painter, a master of large-scale historical paintings
- Gennady Yudin (1840—1912) — a Russian bibliophile, a merchant and an industrialist
- Leonid Kirenski (1909—1969) — a Soviet physicist, an academician of the USSR