The Subject of the Russian Federation:
Federal District: The Central Federal District
Area: 29 997 km2
Population: 1 148 610 persons.
Emblem of Kursk region
Flag of Kursk region
Kursk Oblast gives a freedom for travelers. You will understand this if you come to the edge of the famous Kursk nightingales.
The curious traveler will discover a thesaurus of Russian history. There are more than 4 thousand monuments of history and culture in the territory of the Oblast. And what an unforgettable experience will you get while becoming acquainted with Kursk, the hospitable city, and with a particular European charm.
Familiarization with expositions of museums will allow you to learn the history of the city, understand its features, among which are: the traditional ones - regional natural history, archaeological, Battle of Kursk and Young Motherland Defenders museums and original ones - Kursk nightingales and Kursk tram museums, as well as Kursk art gallery, exhibition halls and salons visiting. The contemplation of the picturesque surrounding countryside panorama opening from the highest point of the city, where the ancient fortress of Kursk was located, boggles the imagination and better than any words explains why the ancestors of present kyriane chose this place for residence and for centuries defended their city from enemies.
It is no accident, that Kursk and many cities of the Oblast are included in the list of historical cities of Russia, and Rylsk has a special status of the city-reserve. Here are almost all layers of the historical heritage from the Paleolithic to the late medieval ages, cultural monuments, manor ensembles of XVIII-XIX centuries.
You will be particularly impressed with the forest of Kursk Oblast. Here you can relax, fish, hunt. The Central Chernozem State Biosphere Reserve named after Alekhin V.V. is widely known not only in Russia but also in the world. There is no need to talk about this land you should visit it and take home a treasure of memories about Kursk hospitality and, of course, the unforgettable trills of Kursk nightingales.
Kursk Oblast is the subject of the Russian Federation.
The administrative center is Kursk.
Kursk Oblast has internal borders with Belgorod, Bryansk, Voronezh, Lipetsk and Orel Oblasts. The external borders on the south-western and western sides with Sumy Oblast of the Ukraine are 245 km and have the state borders status.
The total area is 29.800 sq. km. The distance to Moscow is 536 km.
There are 10 towns, 28 municipal districts and more than 2500 settlements in the territory of the Oblast.
The population is about 1.1 million people.
In 1708, when Russia was divided into 8 provinces Kursk region became a part of the Kiev province. In 1719, Kiev province was divided into 4 provinces: Kiev, Belgorod, Orel and Sevsk. The current territory of Kursk Oblast has been divided between Belgorod and Sevsk provinces. In 1749, it was re-administrated in Belgorod province. In 1779, Kursk governorship was formed, consisting of 15 counties. In 1797, Kursk governorship was transformed into Kursk province, which existed until 1928.
In 1928, the administrative division took place at provincial, district and regional levels. Central Centrflnochernozemnyi region (Central Black Earth Region) was created in former Voronezh, Kursk, Orel and Tambov provinces
Geographical location, natural resources, climate:
The territory of Kursk Oblast lies on the south-western slopes of Central Russian Upland. The relief is an undulating raised, hilly steppe plain, strongly dissected by the ancient river valleys and numerous gullies and ravines, deeply butting into it.
Surface height is 175-225 m. above sea level mostly. The central part is the most raised one. The so-called Timsko-Schigrovskogo Ridge extends on its eastern margin in almost north-south direction. There is one of the absolute highest points of the oblast on it, at stoner through the village Verhoseyme, on the watershed of Diet, Tim and Oskol rivers.
The significant upland of Kursk Oblast is Oboyansky Ridge. It is the watershed between Sejm and Psyol rivers. The maximum ridge height lies on the watershed of Polnaia and Pselets rivers.
The climate is moderately continental. The average January temperature is -8 °C, July +19 °C. The annual rainfall is about 500 mm. Vegetation period is 170 days.
The main branches of industry are: ore mining and beneficiation; mechanical engineering (production of electrical goods, calculating machines, mill-elevator equipment, bearings, drill units, forge-and-pressing equipment); chemical and petrochemical industry (production of chemical fiber, rubber goods); food industry (sugar production); light industry (knitting, hemp production); construction materials production.
Kursk Oblast outstands for its agricultural products. Industrial, technical and forage crops are cultivated in this oblast. Horned cattle of meat and dairy industry, pigs and poultry are ranched.
The agricultural land in farms of all categories make 2,146 ha or 72% of all lands of oblast, arable land make 1 628 ha or 54%.
Kursk Oblast is characterized by the developed transport infrastructure. The total kilometrage of the roads re are the Oblast is 9.2 thousand kilometers.
The speedways M-2 “Crimea”, “Kursk-Voronezh-Borisoglebsk”, “Trosna-Kalinovka” go through the territory of the Oblast.
All districts and towns of the Oblast are connected with the administrative center by hard-surface roads. As of 2007 in the structure of freight transport share of road transport is 84%, 97% of public carriage of passengers is performed by bus and urban electric transport (trams and trolleybuses).
The main article: Railway transport in Kursk Oblast. As of 2006 the total length of railway lines of Kursk Oblast is 1561.2 km, 500 km of which are approaching lines.
The railway main line Moscow-Kharkov and other lines go through the territory of the Oblast, there are three railway junctions: Kursk, Lgov, Kastornoye and 65 railway stations. Kursk Oblast holds one of the first places in Russia on the railways density.
Types of tourism:
- Cultural and knowing tourism
- Religious tourism
- Event tourism
- Conference and business tourism
- Kursk Korenaya ashram
- Preserve "Streletskaya step"
- Spa resort"Marino"
- Kursk magnetic anomaly
- Multi-colored lakes
- Manor of Fet А. А.
- Pokrovsky Cathedral
- Manor of Plevitskaya N.
- Tower of Shamil
- Cathedral of Entry of Virgin Mary into the Temple
- Ashurkov Nikita Egorovich - Hero of the Soviet Union, a veteran of World War II
- Brezhnev Leonid Ilich - Soviet statesman and party figure
- Vinokur Vladimir Natanovich - Soviet and Russian actor, comedian, singer and TV presenter, Honored Artist of the RSFSR (1984), People's Artist of the RSFSR (1988)
- Gridin Viktor Fedorovich - Soviet and Russian accordionist virtuoso, composer, conductor, People's Artist of Russia
- Deineka Alexander Alexandrovich - Soviet painter, graphic artist and sculptor, teacher, member of the Academy of Fine Arts of the USSR, People's Artist of the USSR
- Druzhinin Nikolai Mikhailovich - Russian historian, academician of the USSR Academy of Sciences, laureate of the Stalin and Lenin prizes
- Zelenko Ekaterina Ivanovna - pilot, First Lieutenant, the only woman in the world performed the ram attack, Hero of the Soviet Union
- Kemaykin Frol Sergeevich - Hero of Socialist Labor, holder of the full “Miner's Glory” mark, a member of the Council of war and labor veterans of OJSC “Mikhailovsky GOK”.
- Klevtsov Evgeny Petrovich - Soviet athlete, cyclist, the first Kursk Olympic medalist
- Klykov Vyacheslav Mikhailovich - Russian sculptor, President of the International Fund for Slavic Literature and Culture, laureate of State Prize of the USSR and the RSFSR, the chairman of the restored Russian People Union
- Lamonova Yevgenia Alexeyevna - Olympic gold medalist of the XXIX Olympic Games in Beijing in foil fencing
- Nosov Evgenii Ivanovich - Russian writer, novelist, author of novels and short stories, Hero of Socialist Labor, Laureate of State Award, an honorary citizen of Kursk
Phones for communication in emergencies
112 or 911 — emergency rescue service telephone numbers
Sources of information on tourism opportunities in the Oblast
Tourist-information Center of Kursk Oblast:
Territorial bodies of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia
Chief Directorate of the MES of Russia for Kursk Oblast:
Tel.: (4712) 70-0644, (4712) 70-2973