The Subject of the Russian Federation:
Federal District: The North-Western Federal District
Area: 144 527 km2
Population: 1 324 000 persons.
Emblem of Vologda region
Flag of Vologda region
Vologda regionis the subject of the Russian Federation.
The administrative center is Vologda.
It was founded on September 23, 1937.
It borders in the north on Arkhangelsk, in the east on Kirov, in the south on Kostroma and Yaroslavl, south-west on Tver and Novgorod, in the west on Leningradskaya oblast, in the north-west on the Republic of Karelia.
Every traveler is looking for real new discoveries for himself, and of course some magic. Every child and adult dreams of getting to the home of Santa Claus, and Vologdskaya oblast provides this opportunity. The mysterious beauty of this place is really like a fairy tale, and historical sites unwittingly carry the traveler to ancient times and force to experience a special sense of understanding of the true values and the greatness of Russia.
Hospitable land of Vologda oblast attracts tourists by its incredible originality and warmth. But the most cherished desires need to guess here and not only at the New Year Eve. They always come true, because Vologda oblast is filled with good and special divine light, which is felt by each traveler, as soon as he sets a foot on this ancient land.
Vologda oblast is located in the north of the European part of Russia, in 500 km from Moscow. By area, it is one of the biggest regions of the Russian Federation, and is 145.7 thousand square meters. km, the maximum length from the north to the south is 385 km, from the west to the east is 650 km.
The regional center is the city of Vologda. The largest industrial center is city of Cherepovets.
The oblast borders in the north on the Arkhangelsk oblast, in the east on the Kirovskaya oblast, in the south on Kostromskaya and Yaroslavskaya oblast, in the south-west on Tverskaya and Novgorodskaya oblast, in the west on the Leningraskaya oblast, in north-west on the Republic of Karelia.
The resident population is about 1.2 million people.
The region is divided into 26 municipalities and two urban districts (Vologda and Cherepovets).
The Vologda oblast was established on September 23, 1937. The history of the exploring, according to archaeologists, began more than 25 thousand years ago. In 1983 here was found a site near Nyuksenitsa.
In V-VII centuries AD begins the settlement of the place by the Slavic population, which resulted in the assimilation of Finno-Ugric tribes. Colonization of the Russian North happened from the west (by the Slovens) and from the south (by the krivichy tribes). Representatives of the principality followed the steps of the colonists: collected tribute on newly reclaimed land, and organized cemeteries, began to build cities. This way there appeared Beloozero, Great Ustyug, Vologda.
The first mention of the most ancient city Beloozero was in 862. In 1238, the region of the separated from Rostov principality into an independent principality Belozersk.
In the XIV century it falls under the sway of Moscow and it becomes a district of the unified Russian state.
The name of the Tsar Ivan the Terrible is related to the construction of the Vologda "stone city" - the sovereign's citadel, begun in 1565. It was assumed that the Vologda Kremlin would become a new residence of the king, seeking to leave vague Moscow.
January 25, 1789 by decree of Catherine II was formed Viceroyalty Vologda, consisting of three provinces - Arkhangelogorodskaya, Vologda and Velikoustyugskaya.
In 1796, Vologda became the provincial center. Most of the cities of Vologda oblast were formed in the period of Catherine's administration reform: Vytegra in 1773, Kirillov in 1776, Cherepovets in 1777, Gryazovets, Kadnikov and Nikolsk in 1780
In the XVI-XVII centuries Vologda occupied a special place in the establishment of trade relations with foreign countries. The merchantry of Vologda, Totma, Ustyug led an active trade with the Netherlands, Germany, Siberia, China. Vologda merchants and manufacturers sent to various regions linen, tar, butter, fish, leather, game meat, furs and grain.
Today Vologda oblast is a dynamically developing region of the country, carefully keeps its long history and glorious traditions.
Geographical location, natural resources, climate
The landscape is diverse, distinguished by 33 types, but mostly plains and forests.
Forests cover 71% of its territory. The greatest value of the forest are conifers - spruce and pine. There is a lot of cranberries, red bilberry, blueberries and mushrooms.
The territory of the Vologda oblast belongs to the catchmanbasins of three seas - the White Sea, the Caspian Sea and the Baltic. In the area there are about 20,000 rivers and springs, 5.3 thousand lakes with total area of 3023 square meters..
The largest rivers are the Sukhona, the. Yug, the Kubena, the Sheksna, the Suda, the Mologa.
The largest lake is Beloye (1290 square km), Vozhe (416 square km), Kubenskoe (407 square km) and Rybinskoe (4500 square km) and Sheksninskoe (380 square km.) reservoirs.
In waters inhabite particularly valuable species of fish like sturgeon, salmon, nelmushka, trout, salmon, lake char.
The forests are inhabited by moose, bears, wild boars, wolves, foxes, hares, martens, otters, minks, lynxes.
The region has mostly temperate continental climate with long cold winters, relatively short warm summers. The average January temperature is about -11 ° - 14 °; July is about +16 ° and +18 °. The average annual rainfall of all types is 480-600 mm.
Industry's share in the gross regional product structure is about 50%. Dominant industries are metallurgy, chemical industry, mechanical engineering, metal, timber, woodworking and pulp and paper.
The leading branch of agriculture is dairy farming, which accounts for 70% of all agricultural products. One of the priorities is tourism.
Developed rail, road and river transport.
The length of roads is15,595 km, of inland waterways is 2116 km, the railway is 1889 km. Distance from Vologda to Moscow is 465 km.
The railway junction "Vologda" (Vologda station 1, 2, and Vologda-Losta-Sortirovochnaya) is the largest railway junction of the Northern Railway.
Airports are located in Vologda and Cherepovets.
The river port in Cherepovets is one of the largest in the Volga-Baltic waterway.
Types of tourism
• Cultural and educational
• River cruises
• Hunting and Fishing
• Tourism Events
- 1. The ensemble of the Vologda Kremlin
- 2. Estate of Ded Moroz
- 3. Kirillovo-Belozersky monastery
- 4. Ferapontov Bogoroditse-Rozhdestvensky Monastery
- 5. Museum of Frescoes of Dionysius
- 6. Spaso-Prilutsky Dmitriev Monastery
- 7. Museum of Lace
- 8. Totemskiy Baroque
- 9. The unique geological outcrop "Opoky", tract "Myakolitsa" and the Byk Cape
- 10. National Village of the Russian North "Pozharische"
- 11. Spaso-Kamenny Monastery
- Famous people
- Konstantin Batyushkov, a famous poet
- Theodosius Totemsky, Russian saint
- Ivan Aleksandrovich Kusko,research er of Alaska and California
- Osip (Joseph) Grigorievich Nepeya, the head of the first Russian Embassy in Great Britain
- St.bishop Ignatius Bryanchaninov (born Dimitry Alexandrovich Bryanchaninov) - Bishop of the Caucasus and Black Sea
- The best dish on the Vologda region since ancient times was considered the one that was made according to the recipe obtained from the mother or grandmother. Particularly revered dish in Vologda oblast is pryazhenik; traditionally was prepared the so-called "dezhen", "jelly on stones", "shti", "shangi" jelly. Anyone who visits the Vologda region, should try these delicacies, but if you want - take with you the wonderful recipes of cooking.
- Vologda butter is the pride of the people of our region – it is well known in this country and abroad for over 100 years old.
- History of the Russian dairy business is inextricably linked with the name of Nikolai Vereshchagin (October 25, 1839-March 25, 1907), the son of a landowner of the Cherepovets County, brother of the famous battle-painter Vasily Vereshchagin. He proposed to use as a raw material heated to 80-85 degrees pasteurized cream, which was opening for butter producers all over the world. The butter obtained in a new way, he called "Paris". According to the prescription of Vereshchagin butter was worked out in the Scandinavian and some European countries. But only delicious clean milk produced in the unique natural and climatic conditions of the Vologda province, "Paris" butter has gained the most pronounced flavor and aroma and a "nutty flavor". Not having tried the butter in his homeland we can say that you do not have visited the Vologda region.
- Phones for communication in emergencies
- Operational duty of the unified traffic control
- Office of Civil Defense and Emergencies
- • 01
- • (8172) 72-4862
- • (8172) 72-1105
- First aid station
- • 03
- • (8172) 72-1282
- Operational duty city police department (maintenance of public order, public security)
- • 02
- • (8172) 72-0001
- Rescue Service
- • (8172) 74-1911
- Sources of information on tourism opportunities in the region
- State Institution "The regional center of tourism marketing and promotion of the programs of the Vologda oblast."
- • (8172) 56-2779
- • (8172) 56-2780
- • (931) 500-6111
- • (931) 503-7307
- • E-mail: email@example.com
- • www.vologdatourinfo.ru
- • ICQ - Consultant: 558839561, 585767644
- Territorial Authority Emergency
- • Telephone of the Department GIMS - (8172) 78-2116
- • Calling the emergency services from a cell: MTS and TELE2 - 010; Megaphone - 112; Beeline - 001
- • Reception of Chief of the Russian Emergencies Ministry in the Vologda oblast - (8172) 57-1102
- • The duty of GU - (8172) 72-1105
- • Phone the press service of the Main Directorate of Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia in Vologda oblast - (8172) 57-1189
- • E-mail: mchs.info35 @ gmail.com
- • Hotline of the Main Directorate of Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia in Vologda oblast - (8172) 79-4773
- • Helpline of the Main Directorate of Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia in Vologda oblast - (8172) 72-9999