The Subject of the Russian Federation:
Federal District: The Privolzhsky Federal District
Area: 18 343 km2
Population: 1 279,400 persons.
Emblem of The Chuvash Republic
Flag of The Chuvash Republic
Subject of the Russian Federation:
The Chuvash Republic - Chuvashia
Federal District: Volga Federal District
Total area: 18,343 km2
Chuvashia is famous for its originality. The beauty of Cheboksary will conquer the heart of any traveller.
To feel the heartbeat of the city you should have a cup of coffee near the Cheboksary Gulf - the pearl of the capital of Chuvashia. A fabulous view upon the architectural complex will open before you - Opera and Ballet Theatre, Philharmonic, Palace of Children and Youth Creativity, Spaso-Preobrazhensky Convent.
Take a walk around the quay, throw a luck penny, and your dreams will certainly come true.
Drop in the Vvedensky Cathedral that houses the first Chuvash icon of the XV century - Vladimir Mother of God.
Wander through the halls of the Chuvash National Art Museum that stocks pieces of work by Russian and foreign masters of the arts - Levitan, Shishkin, Repin and many others.
The inimitable Chuvash folklore, original cuisine and smiling hearty people make a special impression on the travellers.
The Chuvash Republic is a subject of the Russian Federation.
Its capital is the city of Cheboksary.
Chuvashia shares its border with Nizhegorodskaya Oblast in the west, with the Mari El Republic in the north, with the Republic of Tatarstan in the east, and with the Republic of Mordovia and Ulyanoskaya Oblast in the south.
The population of the republic is approximately 1.3 mln people.
There are 21 administrative districts, 9 cities, 7 urban-type settlements,1723 rural settlements in the Chuvash Republic.
The first people came to the territory of the present Chuvashia about 80 thousand years ago, during the interglacial period. Archaeologists discovered Mesolithic and Neolithic encampments along the rivers in Chuvashia. The ancestors of the Chuvash (out of Turkic-Speaking tribes Xiongnu) came from Central Asia; in the IX century they founded Volgian Bulgaria State. Resulting from the assimilation with local Finno-Ugric people, by the end of the XV century the Chuvash nationality with a syncretized culture of Sabir-Bulgarian and Finno-Ugric components was formed.
Ah urban-type settlement in the area later known as Cheboksary was founded at the turn of the XIII-XIV centuries. It was established that both the large map made by the Venetians Fransisk and Dominic Pizzigani in 1367 and the third map of the Catalan Atlas of 1375 contained an image of a nameless town in the area of present Cheboksary. On the map of 1459 composed by Fra-Mauro for the Portuguese king Alfonso V on the basis of the earlier maps, the area of present Cheboksary was presented by the city of Veda-Suar (Chuv. Vata Savar, i.e. "Middle Sabir"). Traditionally, the city's foundation dates back to its first mention in written sources.
Russian chronicles of 1469 say that Russian military fleet stayed overnight in Cheboksary on 19-20 May. When Chuvashia merged in Russian state in 1551, Russian regiments were deployed in Cheboksary.
On 23-24 July 1555 Archbishop Gurias of Kazan and Sviyazhsk stayed in Cheboksary on his way to Kazan; by order of Ivan IV he marked the place holy and aspersed the borders of the future Kremlin in front of the voivodes and citizens of Cheboksary. A linen church was erected at the site of the future Vvedensky Cathedral. That year the fortress city was laid up. In the XVI-XVII centuries the territory of Chuvashia was governed by the Order of Kazan; in the early XVIII century it merged in Kazan and Nizhny Novgorod Governorates, and by the administrative reform of 1775 it merged Kazan and Simbirsk Governorates.
On 24 June 1920 All-Russian Central Executive Committee and Council of People's Commissars of RSFSR accepted the decree on establishment of the Chuvash Autonomous Oblast; on 21 April 1925 the Presidium of All-Russian Central Executive Committee passed the decree on its transformation into the Chuvash ASSR. During the war, more than 20 industrial enterprises were relocated to Chuvashia from the western and central regions of the country.
A lot of industrial enterprises were built in this territory during the Soviet regime - aggregatory and tractor plants, cotton and chemical combines of complementary industrial plants, hydroelectric power station on the Volga waterfall.
On 19 October 1990 the Chuvash ASSR was renamed to the Chuvash Soviet Socialist Republic.
On 13 February 1992 by law "On renaming the Chuvash SSR", the Chuvash SSR got its present name.
Geographical Position, Natural Resources, Climate
The Chuvash Republic is situated in the centre of the European part of Russia - Volga-Vyatka Region. Its population density (71/km2) is one of the highest in Russia.
Chuvashia shares its border with Nizhegorodskaya Oblast in the west, with the Mari El Republic in the north, with the Republic of Tatarstan in the east, and with the Republic of Mordovia and Ulyanoskaya Oblast in the south. The major reservoirs of water resources are the Volga, the Sura, the Tsivil, as well as four hundred lakes distributed over the Chuvash territory. The fish fauna is characterized by the abundance of the carps - bream, common carp, ide, roach.
The principal resources of the republic are forests that cover one thirds of the territory, for the most part, along the Sura and in trans-Volga region. The forests of Chuvashia are mostly mountainous, mixed, and pine red wood. The typical species of the fauna are moose, bear, wolf, wild boar, hare, fox, marten, and otter.
The climate is moderately continental, the soils are sod podzol.
The favourable economic and geographical position is determined by the advantageous transportation and geographical position. Transportational routes of federal significance - highways and railways - go through the republic.The Volga River preserves its significance of an important transportational route. It connects Chuvashia not only with the regions of the Volga basin but, due to the inland canal system, with the westernmost, southernmost, and northernmost regions of the country.
The following industries are set going in the republic: machine-building and metalwork, electrical engineering equipment production, weaving machine production, production of industrial tractors and replacement parts for agricultural machines and automobiles, chemical industry (toxic chemicals, synthetic dyes, paint and coatings production and others), timber, wood processing and food industries, building materials production.
The major industrial centres are: Cheboksary, Novocheboksarsk, Kanash, Alatyr, Shumerlya.
The agriculture is oriented towards meat-and-dairy animal breeding and grain production. There are also grain (wheat, rye, oats, barley and others) and industrial crop (hemp, sugar beet) droppings. Vegetable growers mainly breed potatoes. Cattle and sheep breeding is wide-spread. Poultry industry is well-developed.
There is a highway Nizhny Novgorod - Cheboksary - Ulyanovsk, and a highway going to Kazan and Yoshkar-Ola through the dam of Cheboksary hydro-electric power station.
Two federal highways pass through Cheboksary: М7 Volga М7 and А119 Vyatka А119.
Due to the well-developed roadnet Cheboksary has a stable connection with all the administrative regions of Chuvashia. Nearly 85 % of the cargo and passenger turnover is performed by means of motor vehicles.
Regular railway service function between Cheboksary and Moscow. A deluxe train "Chuvashia" runs from Kazansky Rail Terminal in Moscow to Cheboksary. Regular trains also run to Saint Petersburg, and in summer - to Adler and Novorossiysk.
There are regularly scheduled flights from Cheboksary to Moscow made from the Cheboksary Airport. The city transportation is performed by trolleybuses, buses, minibus taxis, and taxis.
Types of Tourism
- Hunt and fishing
- Cheboksary Gulf
- Victory Park
- Vvedensky cathedral
- Holy Trinity Monastery
- Memorial to Mother-Patroness
- Chuvash State Art Museum
- Chuvash National Museum
- Pokrovsko-Tatianinsky cathedral
- Memorial to Ivan Yakovlev
- Vladimirskaya Church and the Yefremovs' Family Vault Ensemble
- Anastasis church
- Alexeev Boris Alexeevich - theatre actor, People's Artist of the USSR
- Kuzmina Vera Kuzminichna - actress, People's Artist of the USSR
- Markov Boris Semyonovich - opera director, People's Artist of Russia and Chuvashia
- Mikhailov Maxim Dormidontovich - opera singer, People's Artist of the USSR
- Mordvinov Nikolai Dmitrievich - Soviet theatre and cinema actor, People's Artist of the USSR
- Pavlova Nadezhda Vasilievna - famous Soviet and Russian ballet dancer, People's Artist of the USSR
- Chapaev Vasily Ivanovich - Red Army commander, participant of the World War I and Civil War. Awarded the Cross of St. George three times and the Soviet Order of the Red Banner
- Nikolaev Andrian Grigorievich - pilot cosmonaut of the USSR, twice Hero of the Soviet Union, Air Forces Major General. Yakovlev Valery Nikolaevich - theatre director, People's Artist of the USSR
- Vorobyova-Stebelskaya Maria Bronislavovna - Russian artist and author of memoirs
- Grigoriev-Savushkin Pavel Grigorievich - painter, graphic artist, illustrator
- Gunin Andrei Germanovich — Russian medical scientist, Doctor of Medicine, professor
- Zalensky Vyacheslav Rafailovich — Russian botanist and plant physiologist
- Fedorov Svyatoslav Nikolaevich - famous Russian ophthalmologist
- Yashin Ivan Vasilievich — Hero of the Soviet Union, Party organizer of a squadron, captain
112 or 911 are common emergency telephone numbers that can be dialled from any mobile phone in order to reach emergency services even if the SIM-card isn't functioning.
Acquisition Sources for Regional Tourist Opportunities Ministry of the Chuvash Republic for Physical Education, Sport and Tourism: Cheboksary, Presidentsky Blv., 17, tel.: (8352) 62-4999, fax: (8352) 62-4999, (8352) 62-3993, (8352) 62-5486
Tourism information centre in Chuvashia:
Cheboksary, Privokzalnaya St., 17, tel.: (8352) 57-0426
Russian EMERCOM Territorial Body
The main branch of EMERCOM of Russia in the Chuvash Republic:
Tel.: (8352) 62-2251