The Subject of the Russian Federation:
Federal District: The North-Western Federal District
Area: 152 km2
Population: 235 845 persons.
Syktyvkar -a city in Russia, the capital of the Komi Republic.
Founded in 1780.
Population of Syktyvkar numbers 240,000.
The area of the city is 152 sq. km.
Syktyvkar was founded in the place, where the Sysola joins the Vychegda. People have been living near the modern Syktyvkar since ancient times. In the III—II millennia BC there were settlements in the area between the modern Ozel village and the village of Sedkyrkesch.
The history of Syktyvkar itself began in the 16th century, when the resident population appeared there. The first reference of Syktyvkar is contained in sotnaya of cadastres of 1586: «The graveyard on the river of Ust-Sysol». Here there was a log-built church with 3 households of sacristans alongside and 6 peasant households located randomly.
Since 1775, the reform of local government took place in Russia . In 1780, from the Yarenskoy uyezd a new uyezd was allocated — Ust-Sysolsk.
On 25 January 1780 by edict of Catherine the Great the village of Ust-Sysola was reorganized into the city of Ust-Sysolsk, which became a district center.
On 10 September 1780 in the house of merchant Sukhanov in the presence of provincial officials from Vologda a ceremonial "opening" of the new city was held.
On 2 October 1780 arms of Ust-Sysolsk was created with depiction of a bear lying in a den in the bottom part (“as a token that there is a plenty of such beasts in the neighborhood of this city”) and arms of the vicegerency of Vologda in the upper part.
In 1783, an Ust-Sysolsk development plan was worked out in Petersburg. Under this plan the following cities were joined to the city: Vichkodor, Podgorye, Kirul, Kokulkar, Mikulsikt, Izkar. In the 19th century Paris was added.
In 1795, there were 1753 of merchants and commoners in Ust-Sysolsk. In 1833, there were 487 of households, 2390 of people, “with the most part of them being zyryane”. In 1926, there were 2729 of houses, 8420 of people in the center and suburbs (including a new village of Lesozavod). In 1773, they began to build a single-storey stone Pokrovskaya church, which was consecrated in 1740. In 1792, on the second storey of this building the construction of Spasskaya church started; it was consecrated in 1808.
In 1753-1768, a stone Trinity church was built next to it. Later a belltower was attaché to in. All together they composed the Trinity cathedral on the bank of the Sysola river. In 1820, the church of the Ascension was built in Kirul. In 1856-1882, the cathedral of Stefan was raised, its lower church functioned upward 1883. In 1896, the upper church on the second storey was consecrated.
The first educational institution of the city was built in 1822. It was the Trinity cathedral faith and parochial school. In 1872, the Ust-Sysolsk religious school was set. In October 1890, the school got a new stone double-storey building (a project of Fyodorov, architect of Vologda).
In 1897, Ust-Sysolsk was the fourth most populous city among 12 cities of the vicegerency of Volgorod. Here and in suburbs were 924 of households, 4464 of people and 523 of people lived in the Slobodskoye village.
In 1921, Ust-Sysolsk became the center of the Komi Autonomous Region. In 1924,the administration of the region proposed to rename Ust-Sysolsk into Vladimir-Lenin, but this idea was never realized. On 26 March 1930 the sity was renamed in Syktyvkar ("the City on the Sysola"). The local population had not used the official name before, but prefer to say just "Kar" (city). On 5 December 1936 Syktyvkar became the capital of the Komi ASSR(later — the Komi Republic).
In 1931, the Komi pedagogical workers' faculty was established in Syktyvkar; in 1932 it became the Komi State Pedagogical University. In 1941, the Base of the Academy of Science of USSR for the Study of the North was set; in 1949, it was reorganized into the Komy branch of the Academy of Science. In 1972, the Syktyvkar State University was founded.
In 1989, the population of Syktyvkar amounted 242,000, where 225,800 of people lived in the city (including 57,600 of people living in Ezhvinskiy district), 4,300 – in Verkhnaya Maksakovka, 289 – in Verkhniy Martiyu, 690 – in Vyltydor, 9,100 – in Krasnozatonskiy, 2,412 – Sedkhyrkesh, 491 – in Tryokhozyorka. In the early 2000 there were 229,300 of resident population in the city.
The key industries in Syktyvkar are forestry, wood and paper industries – their share is more than 62% of output.
The main intraurban transport includes buses, minibuses and taxis.
There is a railway station “Syktyvkar”, a railway terminal ”Chovyu” (industrial hub), a passenger platform “Ezhva” and a railway terminal "Coity", as well as an airport. At the moment, a new airport is building in the town of Sokolovka 30 km from the city.
There is a bus station, from where routes run to the cities of Kirov, Ufa, Ulyanovsk, Naberezhnye Chelny, Cheboksary, Yoshkar-Ola, Kazan, Perm.
- Cathedral of Saint Stefan
- Fire-observation tower
- Museum devoted to the Olympic champion R. P. Smetanina.
- the Komi national gallery
- the Komi national museum
Information sources on tourist resources of the region
Ministry of Economic Development of the Komi Republic — www.econom.rkomi.ru
Tourism development department of the Ministry of Economic Development of the Komi Republic — www.tourism-komi.ru
Territorial authorities of the MES of Russia
Chief Directorate of the MES of Russia for the Komi Republic:
9 Sovetskaya st., Syktyvkar
Telephones: (8212) 44-7215 — duty officer
(8212) 28-5910 — reception
(8212) 28-5939 — press-service