The Subject of the Russian Federation:
Federal District: The Far Eastern Federal District
Population: 194 431 persons.
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is a city and port in the Far East of Russia, the administrative center of the Kamchatka Krai (until July 1, 2007 — Kamchatka Oblast).
It was founded in 1740. It became a city in 1812.
Population: 194,431 (Census 2010).
Founded as Petropavlovsky ostrog (fort) on October 17, 1740, during the Kamchat expedition II in 1733-1743 headed by Vitus Bering and Alexey Chirikov, in the Kamchadal settlement Aushin. The ships were called “Saint Apostle Peter” and “Saint Apostle Paul”, so the settlement received the name Petropavlovsk.
By early XlX century the city became the main port in the Far East and the administrative and economic center of Kamchatka.
In 1822 it was reformed into a district town of Petropavlovsky Port, but an unofficial name,Petropavlovsk, became permanent. In the years 1849—1858 it was the center of the Kamchatka Oblast. In August 1854, during the Crimean War (1853—1856), a garrison town repelled an attack of the Anglo-French squadron.Since 1909, Petropavlovsk again became an administrative center.
In 1924 it was renamed into Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky (to distinguish it from Petropavlovsk, Kazakhstan). In 1930 the boundaries of Petropavlovsk greatly expanded to include a new industrial and residential areas:
In the years 1924—1932 Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky was the center of the Kamchatka Oblast of the Far Eastern Krai, in the years 1932-1956 it was the center of the Kamchatka Oblast in the Khabarovsk Krai, and then it was the center of an independent oblast. On october 31, 1972 Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky was awarded with the Order of the Red Banner of Labor.
On July 1, 2007 according to the referendum results the city became the administrative center of Kamchatka.
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky city is located in the south-eastern part of Kamchatka peninsula, on Avachin bay of the Pacific Ocean. Elevation changes in the city is 382,5 m from the sea level (Avachin bay) to the peak of Mishennaay Sopka. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is about 8200 km far from Moscow.
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky main branch of economics is fishery.
Over the last years metal mining industry has developed: gold deposits Asachin, Agyn, Podnik and others, nickel deposit Shanuch, platinum deposits in the northern part of the region, in Koryakia, as well as silver.
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is connected with other Russian cities by air and sea. The international airport Yelizovo connects the city with beside Russian cities (Moscow, Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Saint-Petersburg, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk etc.) also with Anchoridge, USA, charter flights to Thailand and inner flights to Ozernoye, Nikolskoye (Komandor Islands), Palana, Ossora etc.
The sea port of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky carries out trans-shipment of different cargoes, including fish, wood, bread, cement, containers, wheel machines and equipment, salt, metals, coal, coastal and oil cargo etc. Among imported cargo grains, cement and refrigerator cargoes prevail.
The main transportation in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky city is buses as well as mini vans, which connect the city with neighborhood (Avacha, Mohovaya, Dolinovka, Nagorny etc.), nearest towns Yelizovo, Viluchinsky etc.
There is no railroad in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky like in the whole Kamchatka krai.
In the city of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky you can visit:
• The Monument to soldiers, who freed Kuril islands in 1945.
• The place of urban defense from an attack of the Anglo-French squadron in 1854.
• The Monument to French mariner Jean Francois La Perouse In Petropavlovsk there are a Museum of Local Lore, Fame Hall, Museum of Volcanology Institute, Drama Theater.
• Robert Savelevich Moiseev (1937-2007) - a honorary freeman of the city of Petropavlosk-Kamchatsky (2003); a well-known scientist of Kamchtka, demographer.