The Subject of the Russian Federation:
Federal District: The Siberian Federal District
Area: 432 km2
Population: 581 200 persons.
Irkutsk — a city in Russia, a historical and cultural center of the Eastern Siberia. It is located in 55 km from the great Lake Baikal.
Irkutsk is a little more than 300 years old. It attracts by its “historicity”, architectural variety, epochs harmony that reflected in its appearance. Trade routes to the Great Chinese Wall, Yakutia, Kamchatka and the Russian America began there.
It was founded in 1661, the status of the city got in 1686.
Constant population size of Irkutsk is about 600 thousand people.
There are 33 municipal regions, 9 city districts, 67 towns, 365 villages in the oblast. The largest cities are Irkutsk, Angarsk and Bratsk. Urbanization is 79,31%.
The city got its name after the name of the Irkut River that falls into Angara in the place, where the fort was formed in 1661. The Irkutsk fort was founded by Jakov Pakhabov. The Place was very advantageous: land was fertile, forests were rich in game and water was rich in fish. Moreover, Irkutsk was at the crossing of the main trade routes.
In 1686 Irkutsk got the status of the city, the coat of arms and the seal. By 1719 it had become an important religious center.
In the 60-s of the XVIII century the Moscow tract reached Irkutsk, fairs appeared in the city. It favoured the construction of plants, mills, breweries, shopping arcade for numerous shops placement.
At the beginning of the XIX century Irkutsk became an administrative and cultural center of the huge territory from Yenisei to the Pacific Ocean. Expeditions, organized by the Russian government to the Far East, Yakutia, Mongolia, China, Alaska, were formed in Irkutsk. The 1st and the 2nd expeditions of Vitus Bering were prepared in the city.
In the XIX century Irkutsk became an official residence of the Governor-General and the capital of the Eastern Siberia.
During the Civil War Irkutsk was a residence of the Russian Supreme Governor for a short time. On the 5th of January, 1920 the power of A. Kolchak was overthrown. The admiral was executed and thrown under the ice in the mouth of the Ushakovka River.
Since 30-s an industrial construction began in Irkutsk. Plants of heavy engineering industry, aviation, brick and slag-concrete, tea-squeezing plants and food enterprises were erected.
The city is included in the number of historically inhabited areas with conservation of planning and development.
The territory covers the south of the Middle Siberian Plateau and basins of Angara, Lena and Nizhnyaya Tunguska.
There are mountain masses of the Eastern Sayan in the south-east, the Primorsky and Baikal ridges (hight up to 2500 m), the Stanovoye and Patomskoye uplands – in the east.
A part of the water surface of the Lake Baikal is included. The lowest point is in the bottom of the Lake Baikal, near the Olkhon island, and is 1137 m. The highest one is on the top of the Kodarsky ridge and is 2999 m. Beside the Lake Baikal, large lakes are Oron, Agdzhen, Kutukan, Ordynskoye, Alyaty.
Irkutsk is a large economical center of the Eastern Siberia. The Irkutsk HPP was constructed in Angara city. Machine building is represented by plants o f heavy engineering, machine-tool and repair-mechanical plants. Food industry is developed.
Leading places are occupied by production of grain, potato, vegetables, milk, meat and eggs. Wheat is the main sowing crops. The cattle has a dairy and meat-and-milk directions. Sheep breeding is concentrated in the southern steppe regions, reindeer breeding – in the northern areas.
The Department of the East-Siberian Railway - a branch of JSC RZD, is situated in Irkutsk. The city has two stations Irkutsk-passenger and Irkutsk-sorting, all long-distance trains stop at both stations.
There is one of the largest in the Eastern Russia international airports in Irkutsk. It has direct flights to many cities of Russia and Asian countries, particularly China, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, South Korea, Turkey and Thailand.
Public transport is represented by tram, trolley, bus, minibus and taxi in Irkutsk.
- Regional Historical Museum
- A.V. Sidorov State Mineralogical Museum
- Irkutsk Regional Historical-Memorial Museum of Decembrists
- Icebreaker “Angara”
- House of Merchants of the Shastins, “Lacy House”
- Beloborodov Afanasiy Pavlenteevich – a General of the Army, the Hero of the Soviet Union twice.
- Vampilov Alexander Valentinovich – a famous playwright
- Gaidai Leonid Iovich – an outstanding director, a script writer, an actor
- Galaziy Grigoriy Ivanovich – a biologist, a limnologist
- Gurkin Vladimir Pavlovich – an actor, a playwright, a script writer, a director
- Evtushenko Evgeniy Alexandrovich – an outstanding poet, a prose writer, a director, a script writer, a writer of political essays, an actor
- Kamov Nikolay Ilich – an outstanding Soviet aircraft designer, developer of Ka helicopters
- Markov Georgiy Mokeevich – a writer
- Molchanov-Sibirskiy Ivan Ivanovich – a poet, a writer
- Matsuev Denis Leonidovich – a famous Russian pianist
- Mil Mikhail Leontyevich – a Soviet constructor of helicopters
- Nureev Rudolf Khametovich – an outstanding artist of ballet, a ballet master
- Obruchev Vladimir Afanasyevich – a traveler, an academician, a farther of the Siberian geology and geography, a researcher of Siberia, the Central and Medium Asia
- Obruchev Sergey Vladimirovich – a scientist, a geologist, a geographer, a traveler
- Okladnikov Alexey Pavlovich – a historian, an ethnographer and an archaeologist
- Okhlopkov Nikolay Pavlovich – an actor, a director of the Irkutsk Drama Theater
- Rasputin Valentin Grigoryevich – a famous writer, a playwright
- Romm Mikhail Ilich – an outstanding Soviet film director, a People’s artist of the USSR, a five Stalin Prizes laureate
- Sedykh Konstantin Fedorovich – a writer
Telephones for emergency situations
· Common telephone of firemen and lifesavers – 01
· Common rescue service – 112
· Police – 02
· Emergency – 03
· Emergency gas service – 04
Sources for getting information about touristic opportunities of the region
Territorial authorities of the MES in the Irkutsk Oblast:
15 Krasnoarmeyskaya Street, Irkutsk