The Subject of the Russian Federation:
Federal District: The Privolzhsky Federal District
Area: 315,6 km2
Population: 611 633 persons.
Izhevsk is the city in Russia, known in Russian history of engineering, it is a capital of the Udmurt Republic.
It was founded in 1760 and became a city in 1918.
Population: 611, 633 (Census 2010).
Total area: 315, 6 km2.
In 1760, Izhevsk iron plant and the factory settlement of the same name was built without prior arrangement for the Count Peter Shuvalov on the lands of the Kazan Murzas Tevkeleva. The most favorable place for the dam was chosen by Alex Moskvin, the engineer, who supervised the construction of the plant. By 1763 the dam was built, Izhevsk pond was created. On November 15, 1763 Catherine II signed a decree taking the Izhevsk factory in treasury to repay a family debt after the death of Shuvalov.
In 1774 Yemelyan Pugachev "with a horde of thugs and mad people" seized the town and executed all the factory bosses (42 persons), the plant was looted and partially burned.
On February 20, 1807 Emperor Alexander I signed a decree about the foundation of a new arms factory in the Urals and on 10 June 1807 arms factory was founded instead of ironworks under the supervision of A. F. Deryabin. On 9 October 1865 the plant was leased to the Association of Industrialists. L. E. Nobel and P. A. Bilderling will participate in the lease 5 years later. On July 1 1884 the plant was returned to the treasury from the lease.
On June 10, 1921 the capital of Votskaya Autonomous Region was removed from the city of Glazov to Izhevsk. On December 28, 1934 Izhevsk acquired the status of capital of UASSR.
In autumn 1941 several defense enterprises were evacuated to Izhevsk.
The production of the Kalashnikov AK-47 begins at the Motor Plant in 1948. Russia's first motorcycle was built in Izhevsk in 1929, and Izhevsk motorcyclists celebrated the 80 anniversary of the motorcycle "Izh" in summer 2009. On December 12, 1966 the first Izhevsk car was producted.
On December 27, 1984 at the initiative of the party authorities of the city it was given the name Ustinov after Dmitri Ustinov, but on June 19, 1987 Izhevsk was returned its original name because of numerous protests of townspeople. Izhevsk awarded the title "the cultural capital of the Volga-2004" in 2004. On September 3, 2010 the city celebrated its 250th Birthday.
The city is located in the eastern part of the East European Plain, between the rivers Vyatka and Kama, on the non-navigable river Izh, which is the right tributary of the Kama River.
Izhevsk is located in 1 129 km from Moscow. The distances between Izhevsk and the largest cities of the Volga Federal District are: to Kazan — 335 km, to Kirov — 405 km, to Perm — 376 km, to Ulyanovsk — 587 km, to Ufa — 392 km, to Nizhny Novgorod — 789 km.
Izhevsk is known in Russia and in the whole world for its defense, engineering and metallurgical industries.
In the city there are 12 tram lines, 11 trolleybus routes and 38 bus routes. More than 30 suburban and garden-suburban bus routes opened annually in the spring-summer season. Izhevsk is connected by bus, rail and air links to the suburbs and other towns of Udmurtia and Russia.
In Izhevsk there are the central bus station, bus station "South" and the railway station. Two more railway stations, Zavodskaya and Pozim, are located in industrial areas of the city and serve the commuter trains. Intercity route water bus "Pier Izhevsk— Volozhka" operates at the Izhevsk pond during the summer.
• State cultural institution "Architectural and Ethnographical Museum-Reserve "Ludorvay"
• GUK "National Museum of the Udmurt Republic of Kuzebay Gerd"
• St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
• Gorban, Maria — movies and theater actress
• Dragunov, Eugene — author of projects of small sports and military weapons